Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles

Sometimes, you just need chocolate. 

You know what I mean?

Last night was one of those times for me.  But given the heavy lunch I ate yesterday, I wanted to be able to eat my chocolate, but not feel horrible about myself.

What to do, what to do...

I took stock of my chocolate possibilities, taking into account the lateness of the hour and my desire to not feel like a beached whale after eating whatever chocolate decadence I created.

I had peanut butter.  I had chocolate.

I could just melt some chocolate and dip a spoonful of peanut butter in it. 

No.  I can do better than that.

I had wanted to make peanut butter eggs at Easter and just never got around to it.  But all those recipes call for a ton of powdered sugar mixed with the peanut butter, and that gives me a cavity just thinking about it.

Oh, but I could use honey instead of powdered sugar!  Yes!  And maybe I'll toss in some oats for texture.

Sold.

I got out my ingredients and set to work...

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles:
Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey (or more to your taste)
2/3 cup oats (or more to your taste - I like a good bit of oats)
Chocolate

1. Stir together peanut butter and honey until well combined.  Stir in oats.Place mixture in fridge for at least one hour or in freezer for about 20 minutes.  You want to give it plenty of time to firm up.

2.  Once peanut butter mixture is firm, melt chocolate according to package instructions (see note at bottom).

3.  Line baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.  Scoop 1 tablespoon balls (or whatever size you like) of peanut butter mixture with cookie scoop or spoon.  Roll into ball.  Dip in chocolate, coating entire ball.  Place on baking sheet.  Repeat.  (If you're like me, you pour any leftover chocolate over your truffles for an extra coat of deliciousness.)

4.  Place baking sheet in refrigerator or freezer until chocolate hardens.  Store in refrigerator (there's nothing in them that requires refrigerating, it's just to keep your chocolate from melting).  Or if you can somehow refrain from shoving them all on your mouth, you can freeze them and thaw them for a snack when you need a hit.

Note:  There are tons of chocolate options open to you.  I use Ghirardelli melting chocolate.  My mom bought me a gigantic three pound bar for Christmas... no joke.  I just break a piece off, chop it up and melt it in the microwave, stirring frequently.  Easy peasy.  Baker's Chocolate is also perfect for melting.  You can also buy Baker's Chocolate in handy dandy cups you can stick directly into the microwave.  Or in a pinch, you can use good old fashioned chocolate chips.  Although if you go that route, you need to add some kind of fat (butter, oil, lard) to the chocolate for a smooth consistency when you melt it.  Usually about a tablespoon per cup.  Just follow the package directions. 

1 comment:

  1. Where the hay was this recipe when I was looking for something yummy a few days ago?- Lizard

    ReplyDelete