Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Do you know the muffin man?

Today's post is a twofer.

Which is only fair, as I haven't posted anything in a while.

A couple of weeks ago, my baby boy (and in case you don't know, by baby boy, I mean my dog) celebrated his 7th birthday.

Every year, I make him cake... and every year, I end up burning it.

He always eats it anyway.  Because hello! He's a dog.  He doesn't care if it's burnt.  But this year, I was determined to make him non-burned birthday cake.

I perused some recipes for dog safe cake, as I do every year.  But I just couldn't find anything I really liked. 

Then I realized that I really didn't need a recipe.  I could wing it.  And if it didn't work out... well, no harm, no foul.  I mean, he's been eating burnt cake for six years. 

Shockingly, it did actually turn out.  Except instead of being fluffy like cake, they were denser, like a muffin. 

Here's what I did:

Peanut Butter Muffins

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 vanilla fat free yogurt
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 cup flour
1 t baking powder

1.  Stir together peanut butter, yogurt, honey and vanilla until smooth.  Add in egg and stir until well mixed. 

2. Whisk together flour and baking powder.  Add to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.

3. Pour into greased muffin tins (about 3/4 full) and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  I used a king sized muffin tin and baked for approximately 20 minutes.  I also made a batch in a mini-muffin tin and only baked for about 10 minutes.  Adjust for the size of your muffins, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

4.  After removing from oven, turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.  Don't leave them in the hot muffin tin because they will continue to cook.


As you can see, they were a big hit.

They certainly had Winston's seal of approval, but I wanted to know if they were any good from a human perspective.  

So I had one for breakfast the next morning.  

And it was great.  Except it needed a little something more.

Like chocolate.  So I made them again and added a cup of chocolate chips.

Perfection.

I brought some into the gym the next day for friends, and the people in my spinning class wanted to know what exactly a person had to do to get some muffins.  So I promised to make them muffins the next week.

Except the night before I was supposed to produce said muffins, I realized I had forgotten about my promise.

And also, I didn't have the ingredients to make peanut butter muffins!  No peanut butter.  No yogurt.

What's a girl to do???

I fell asleep that night thinking about the ingredients I had at my disposal.  Because necessity is the mother of invention.

And this is what I came up with:

Banana Oat Muffins

1 LARGE banana
1/2 c applesauce
2-3 T honey
1 egg
1/2 c. flour
1/2 old fashioned rolled oats
1 t baking powder

1.  Mash your banana until it's mush.  If you don't have a large banana, use 1 1/2 medium banana or 2 small bananas.  Add in applesauce, honey and egg.  Whisk until well mixed.  

2.  Whisk together flour and baking powder.  Add to wet ingredients and mix until combined.  Stir in oats.

3.  Pour into greased muffin tins (about 3/4 full) and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  Again until a toothpick inserted in the middle of hte muffin comes out clean.

I'm not even a big fan of banana, and these were delicious.  They would have been even more delicious with some walnuts.  If you're so inclined.

So there you go.  Two healthy muffin recipes to try.  No oil!  No sugar!  Only 1 egg and limited flour!

Go forth and bake and amaze your friends and family with your skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment